St. Mary's with St. Peter's

Bury St. Edmunds

*
*
Tel: 01284 754680
Navigate

Visitors

Visitors to St Mary's

St Mary's Church claims to be the third largest parish church in England, to have the second longest aisle and the largest west window.

St Mary's Church is Bury St Edmund's jewel in the crown. >

School Visits to St Mary's

We welcome schools who wish to come and visit us. Learn about a church from visiting St Mary's.

More about School Visits to St Mary's >

History of St Mary's

The '...church of the Blessed Mary with its tower...' was built by the sacrists Ralph and Hervey in the time of Abbot Anselm (1120-1148), and dedicated by Bishop John of Rochester (1137-1142).

More about History of St Mary's >

History of St Peter's

St Peter's was the first 'church-plant', or mission church, to be established in Bury since the parish system was created in the Anglo-Saxon period.

More about History of St Peter's >